Closing date: 23 July 2017
In October 2014, the Anti-social Behaviour Crime & Policing Act 2014 (the Act) introduced new powers relevant to tackling Anti-Social Behaviour. In addition, the Act makes changes to existing legislation and Cheshire West and Chester Council is required to review existing Orders that were made under previous legislation, and replace them with Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs). PSPOs can be used to regulate activities in particular public places that can have a detrimental effect on the local community. They can help by giving local councils and local police additional powers to tackle anti-social behaviour in specific locations.
The existing Orders that will be affected by this change relate to:
- the consumption of alcohol in a public place (covering all of Cheshire West and Chester)
- dog fouling (covering all of Cheshire West and Chester)
- areas where dogs are excluded (Chester area only)
- areas where dogs need to be kept on a lead (Chester area only).
The Act provides that the Orders identified below will automatically transfer to PSPOs in October 2017. In order to ensure that they continue in force for a further maximum period of three years, a public consultation must be carried out prior to 20 October 2017.
The Orders to be transferred are:
- Designated Public Spaces Protection Orders (DPPOs) made under section 13(2) of the Criminal Justice & Police Act 2001 (to restrict the consumption of alcohol)
- Dog Control Orders under Chapter 1 of Part 6 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 (including dog fouling).
What we are consulting on
The review of the above Orders is taking place due to national legislative changes. Cheshire West and Chester Council is carrying out a public consultation to determine the views of the general public and other interested bodies on the existing Orders, with a view to renewing them on a like for like basis. This will ensure that the new legislation does not change or limit the existing powers and restrictions in place.
How to share your views
The consultation period closes on Sunday 23 July 2017. Before completing the survey, you might find it useful to look at the current list of dog control areas in the Chester area, which is available below.
Please note that you need to be aged 16 or over to take part in this survey.
You can complete the survey online or by printing off the questionnaire and posting it back to us. If you would like a paper questionnaire sending to you, then please contact us.
Other ways to take part
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0300 123 8 123
- Write to: Research and Intelligence Team, Cheshire West and Chester Council, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, CH65 0BE
How your views will be used
The outcome of the public consultation will be considered by Cabinet in Autumn 2017.
You can find information about how you can make a complaint or report an incident involving alcohol or dogs in Cheshire West and Chester in the Reporting incidents and complaints document.
Other ways of accessing information
Council information is also available in audio, braille, large print or other formats. If you would like a copy in a different format, in another language or require a British sign language (BSL) interpreter:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0300 123 8 123
- Textphone: 18001 01606 275 757