This consultation is now closed.
This consultation is closed, the results of the report can now be viewed:
This important consultation is taking place because we want to hear your views on how Public Health Wellbeing services should best be delivered for the benefit of our communities across Cheshire West and Chester.
We want to help people lead healthy and fulfilled lives, and if they need support we want to provide effective services that prevent problems developing and give individuals more control over their own well-being.
Thank you for taking the time to engage in this consultation and have your say. Please read the consultation document before completing the online questionnaire.
What we are consulting on
We are proposing to deliver Public Health Wellbeing services in one integrated Public Health contract, with an increased focus on prevention and changing risky behaviours before problems develop.
This would offer a service where residents would have a single “front door” to a range of Public Health Wellbeing services and access to specialist clinical and support services as required.
Most significantly, it creates the opportunity for people to have a comprehensive assessment of their health and lifestyle needs, and access the right services.
The proposed model detailed in this consultation is only option. There are alternative approaches to be considered within the consultation.
Currently Public Health Wellbeing services are provided under separate contracts as follows:
- Sexual Health – This service provides testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, contraception and safe sex advice. This is delivered through a mix of clinics and also outreach sessions. Some of these services are also provided through Community Pharmacies and GP practices.
- Substance Misuse – This service provides treatment, advice and recovery support for those experiencing problems in relation to drug or alcohol use. Some of the services are provided through Community Pharmacies, such as needle exchange.
- Integrated Wellbeing Service – This service delivers the following elements
- Smoking Cessation – This service supports anyone wanting to stop smoking, including some services delivered through Community Pharmacies and GP practices.
- Weight Management – this service supports people to improve their lifestyle and lose weight where they have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of over 25. It includes a service to people who are referred for Bariatric surgery.
- Exercise on Referral from a GP for people with specific health risks (e.g. diabetes)
- Over 75s exercise for free.
- NHS Health Checks – this is a health “MOT” for eligible individuals aged 40-74 and is provided currently through GP practices.
The cost of the service
Adult Public Health services are funded from the ring-fenced Public Health grant received by the Council. The need to review these services and secure efficiencies is in the context of confirmed reductions to the Public Health grant over the period 2015-20. By 2020, the grant received by the Council is planned to have reduced by £2.6m per annum.
How your views will be used
The consultation runs from 24 March until 25 June 2017.All reports from the consultation will be based on combined responses and so will be anonymous, no personal information will be shared. A report on the results of the consultation will be made publicly available on the Council’s website. These results, together with other information, will be considered by the council when recommissioning the services.
How to get involved
There is a range of ways for you to express your views, which will need to be received by 25 June 2017.
- Online survey
- Email: email@example.com
- Complete a paper questionnaire and return to: The Research Team, Cheshire West and Chester Council, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BE
Further informationCouncil information is also available in audio, braille, large print or other formats. If you would like a copy in a different format, in another language or require a British sign language (BSL) interpreter:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0300 123 8123
- Textphone: 18001 01606 275757