This consultation is now closed.
The primary purpose of the Playing Pitch Strategy (PPS) is to provide a strategic framework which ensures that the provision of outdoor playing pitches meet the local needs of existing and future residents within the Cheshire West Area. The council needs to review and revise its current PPS in order to comply with new guidance from Sport England.
The PPS builds upon analysis from a comprehensive site Assessment Report across the borough and provides a strategic framework for the maintenance and improvement of existing outdoor sports pitches and ancillary facilities between 2015 and 2025. The PPS covers the following playing pitches:
- Football pitches, including third generation artificial pitches (3G AGPs)
- Cricket pitches
- Rugby union pitches
- Rugby league
- Hockey/artificial grass pitches (AGPs)
- Other grass pitch sports
The Strategy is capable of:
- Providing adequate planning guidance to assess development proposals affecting playing fields, as appropriate, directing open space contributions secured through development and informing and shaping local planning policy
- Inform the protection and provision of sports facilities and the Infrastructure Delivery Plan and Section 106 and Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) schedules.
- Informing land use decisions in respect of future use of existing outdoor sports areas and playing fields (capable of accommodating pitches) across the Borough;
- Providing a strategic framework for the provision and management of outdoor sports across the Borough;
- Supporting external funding bids and maximise support for outdoor sports facilities;
- Providing the basis for on-going monitoring and review of the use, distribution, function, quality and accessibility of outdoor sport.
A variety of consultation methods were used to collate demand information about leagues, clubs, county associations and national/regional governing bodies of sport as well as Parish/Town Councils and community use educational sites. Face to face consultation was carried out with key clubs from each sport. This allowed for the collection of detailed demand information and an exploration of key issues to be interrogated and more accurately assessed.
For data analysis purposes an online survey (converted to postal if required) was utilised. This was sent to all clubs not covered by face to face consultation. Sport England was also included within the consultation process prior to the project commencing. Issues identified by clubs returning questionnaires were followed up by telephone or face to face interviews.
Local sports development officers, county associations and regional governing body officers advised which of the clubs to include in the face to face consultation. Sport England was also included within the consultation process prior to the project commencing. Issues identified by clubs returning questionnaires were followed up by telephone or face to face interviews.
How to get involved
The public consultation period will start 10 February for a period of eight weeks, this consultation period will aim to capture the views of residents, clubs and any other individuals or organisations to the strategy and Action Plan. Views will be taken via an online questionnaire with the option of requesting a paper copy and replying in writing or by speaking to a member of the Total Environment Team directly.
Analysis of results of the public consultation will be taken to the PPS Steering Group in April to agree actions arising from the consultation. The PPS Strategy will then be taken to full Cabinet.
The Assessment Report and Action Plans will be reviewed annually by the PPS Steering Group to ensure any changes in clubs/teams usage of sites, quality or improvement etc are recorded.
You can complete the survey online or by printing off the questionnaire and posting it back to us. If you would like a paper questionnaire sending to you, then please contact us.
Other ways to take part:
- Email: TotalEnviroment@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk
- Write to us at: Cheshire West and Chester Council, Total Environment Team, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BE
- Telephone: 01606 271931
How your feedback will be used
All of your feedback will be discussed at the PPS Steering group and incorporated into the Strategy where appropriate.
Council information is also available in audio, braille, large print or other formats. If you would like a copy in a different format, in another language or require a British sign language (BSL) interpreter:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0300 123 8123
- Textphone: 18001 01606 867670