This consultation has now closed.
Cheshire West and Chester’s population and car ownership rates are steadily on the rise and in some areas, land available for car parking is decreasing. So, in January 2016 the Council commissioned independent specialist transport and parking consultants, Mott MacDonald, to carry out a review of all parking-related matters in the borough. This was to identify the key issues and options, and to make recommendations for a borough-wide Parking Strategy that will sustain long-term economic, social and environmental well-being. The aim is to provide a modern,
well-informed and fair parking service for all residents, businesses and visitors to the borough. Mott MacDonald carried out extensive research, including data collection, desktop analysis, site visits and dwell time surveys. In addition, workshops were held in 11 locations across the borough with a range of stakeholders (including residents, businesses and elected representatives) to test the preliminary findings and to identify concerns and ideas for potential solutions.
Over the coming years, the Council will need to find ways to cover its costs, invest in additional parking provision, improve the quality of its car parks, manage traffic flow and reduce congestion, while at the same time protecting the environment and public health. In order to meet these challenges, one issue that the Council will need to address is the current disparity between those areas of the borough where parking charges apply and those where they do not. There is an inherent unfairness in this situation as it means that residents and businesses in some areas are cross-subsidising those in other areas where charges do not apply and a fairer, more consistent approach to charging is needed.
Why we are undertaking this consultation
Following the extensive research outlined above, the independent consultants have produced a draft Parking Strategy on which the Council is now consulting. A copy of the Executive Summary of the draft Parking Strategy can be accessed below or paper copies can be requested. Please see contact details below. Please note that ongoing recommendations from the Chester Parking Strategy (2012) have been incorporated into the new draft Parking Strategy and may not be
subject to specific consultation questions.
How to get involvedThe general consultation closes on 24 February 2017, but is extended to 10 March 2017 for views about proposals for Tattenhall, because the Tattenhall Data Collection and Recommendations Report was available slightly later than other information. Before completing the survey please read the Executive Summary of the draft Parking Strategy and look at the list of the principal publicly available Council-owned or Council-controlled car parks.
- Executive summary (PDF, 880KB)
- Tattenhall Data Collection Report and Recommendations (PDF, 2.5MB)
- List of publicly available council owned and council controlled car parks (PDF, 16KB)
You can complete the survey online or by printing off the questionnaire and posting it back to us. If you would like a paper questionnaire sending to you, then please contact us.
Other ways to take part
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0300 123 7024
- Write to: Parking Services, Cheshire West and Chester Council, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, CH65 0BE
There will be a number of drop-in events taking place across Cheshire West and Chester:
- Tuesday, 29 November 2016, 3pm - 7pm at Chester Town Hall, 33 Northgate Street, Chester, CH1 2HQ (Chester and Farndon)
- Wednesday, 30 November 2016, 3pm - 7pm at Northwich Memorial Court, Chester Way, Northwich, CW9 5QJ (Northwich)
- Monday, 5 December 2016, 3pm - 7pm at Ellesmere Port Library, Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BG (Ellesmere Port)
- Thursday, 8 December 2016, 3pm - 7pm at Frodsham Library, Princeway, Frodsham, WA6 6RX (Frodsham)
- Tuesday, 13 December 2016, 3pm - 7pm at Neston Library, Parkgate Road, CH64 6QE (Neston, Parkgate and Willaston)
- Tuesday, 10 January 2017, 3pm - 7pm at Weaverham Community Centre, Russet Road, Weaverham, CW8 3HY (Weaverham, Cuddington and Sandiway)
- Thursday, 12 January 2017, 3pm - 7pm at Tesco, Chester Road, Helsby, WA6 0DJ (Helsby)
- Tuesday, 17 January 2017, 3pm - 7pm at Co-Op, The Cross, Malpas, SY14 8NQ (Malpas)
- Thursday, 19 January 2017, 3pm - 7pm at Winsford Lifestyle Centre, The Drumber, Winsford, CW7 1AD (Winsford)
- Tuesday, 24 January 2017, 3pm - 7pm at Tarporley Community Centre, High Street, Tarporley, CW6 0AY (Tarporley, Tarvin and Kelsall)
- Tuesday, 31 January 2017, 3.30pm - 6.30pm at Tesco, Frodsham Street, Chester, CH1 3JS (Chester)
- Thursday, 2 February 2017, 3.30pm - 6.30pm at ASDA, Grange Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BZ (Ellesmere Port)
- Monday, 6 February 2017, 3.30pm to 6.30pm at Northwich Memorial Court, Chesterway, Northwich, CW9 5QJ (Northwich)
- Thursday, 9 February 2017, 3.30pm to 6.30pm at Tattenhall Village Hall, High Street, Tattenhall, CH3 9PX (Tattenhall)
How your feedback will be used
Your views will be taken into consideration when finalising the Council’s Parking Strategy.
Council information is also available in audio, braille, large print or other formats. If you would like a copy in a different format, in another language or require a British sign language (BSL) interpreter:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0300 123 8123
- Textphone: 18001 01606 275 757