This consultation has now closed.
This consultation is about whether to designate the Chester Canal as a Conservation Area. The map below shows the proposed area which is a linear 28 mile canal corridor. It abuts the Ellesmere Port Docks conservation area in Cheshire West and ends at the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal - Nantwich Junction Bridge (92) in Cheshire East.
Its special character is derived from its historic origins and character today. The canal was constructed when the Chester Canal Act was passed in 1772. It is unique for being one of the earliest broad beam canals. It was built to provide a link from the port of Chester to the salt towns of Cheshire. The canal and towpath, and most associated canal structures is largely in the ownership of Canal and Rivers Trust (CRT). However, some properties in the proposed area are in private ownership, as are some businesses.
What we are consulting on
A character appraisal and gazetteer has been produced to provide information on what contributes to the special architectural and historic qualities of the canal. It identifies existing and future needs in terms of positive management. The appraisal has been written by the Chester Canal Heritage Trust and overseen by a steering group including conservation representatives from Cheshire West and Chester Council, Cheshire East and the Canal and Rivers Trust. Copies of these documents are available online or can be requested through the contact details below.
How to get involved
This 12 week consultation closes on 9 September 2016. Please look at the supporting documents before giving us your views.
- Gazetteer A: M53 to A5117 (PDF, 234KB)
- Gazetteer B: A5117 to Mollington (PDF, 377KB)
- Gazetteer C: Mollington to Cambrian Road (PDF, 396KB)
- Gazetteer D: Chester Basins (PDF, 525KB)
- Gazetteer E: Northgate Locks to Cow Lane Bridge (PDF, 485KB)
- Gazetteer F: Industrial Chester (PDF, 555KB)
- Gazetteer G: Suburban Cheshire West and Chester (PDF, 349KB)
- Gazetteer H: Rural Cheshire West and Chester (PDF, 982KB)
- Gazetteer I: Rural Cheshire East (PDF, 784KB)
- Gazetteer J: B and L Junction (PDF, 238KB)
- Appendix A - Part one maps (PDF, 4MB)
- Appendix A - Part two maps (PDF, 5MB)
You can complete the survey online or by printing off the questionnaire and posting it back to us. If you would like a paper questionnaire sending to you, then please contact us.
Other ways to take part
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to us at: Total Environment, Cheshire West and Chester Council, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BE
- Telephone: 01244 972829
How your feedback will be used
Cheshire West and Chester Council is conducting the consultation on behalf of the steering group. The consultation will take into account views of all stakeholders with an interest in the canal, including those for recreational, residential and business use. The results will be duly considered and a decision will then be made as to whether to designate this section of the canal as a conservation area.
Council information is also available in audio, braille, large print or other formats. If you would like a copy in a different format, in another language or require a British sign language (BSL) interpreter:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0300 123 8123
- Textphone: 18001 01606 867670