Cheshire West and Chester Benefits Service is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide on your application for Housing and Council Tax Benefit for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.
When making a claim for Housing and Council Tax Benefit you agree that:
- If the information you give is incorrect or incomplete the council may take action against you, this may include court action.
- The Council will use the information you have provided to process your claim for Housing and Council Tax Benefit. We may use this information in other departments within the Council to collect any money you owe to the Council.
- We may also use the information if you apply for free school meals or help to pay for your care needs, or if you apply for help and we have to carry out a financial assessment of your circumstances.
- We may check the information with other sources and use any information you have provided in connection with this and any other claim for state benefits that you have made or may make. We may give some information to other governmental organisations if the law allows this.
- We may give information to and receive information from other organisations (including credit reference agencies) to check the information you have given is accurate, to prevent or detect crime and to protect public funds.
- We will keep your information to make sure we pay the correct amount of benefit to the right person for the right time, and to make sure we pay the benefit correctly.
- We will share information with other government organisations or within the council to save public money.
Any Queries for Data Protection?
Data Protection Controller Telephone: 0300 123 8123